MOVING ON is a graduation ceremony for the 8th grade class. The event involves an hour-long graduation ceremony held in the BHS gym (6-7pm) for the students and their families followed by a dinner/party for students only (7:15-10pm) in the JGMS cafeteria/gymnasium respectively. Moving On for the class on 2022 is tentatively scheduled for Friday, June 15th (assuming no more snow days).
The Moving On ceremony is the first time the 8th graders begin being referred to as the class of 2022. It is funded entirely by parent donations with an MSPA subsidy.
The event is planned entirely by parent volunteers. The Moving On Chair/Co-Chairs manage the entire event. They oversee all the committees making sure everything is on track and handle communication with MSPA board & JGMS administration.
The following sub-committees manage various aspects of the event:
- T-shirts: 2-3 people. T-shirts need to be designed, t-shirt order forms processed, t-shirts labeled for each student (chair filled for 2018)
- Invitations: 1-2 People. Manage online invitations, responses and wait-list (chair filled for 2018)
- Program: 1 person. Design and print program (chair filled for 2018)
- Ceremony coordinator: 1 person. Order flowers, confirm set up for ceremony (chair filled for 2018)
- Photography: 1 person. Coordinating volunteer photographer, create website to share photos (chair filled for 2018)
- Entrance/Archway: 2+ people. Plan decorations for entrance area (chair needed)
- Photo booth: 2 people. Design Photo Booth area (co-chairs filled for 2018)
- Gym Decorations: 3+ people. Plan gym decorations – usually have huge number of volunteers to help execute the plan. (chair filled for 2018)
- Hallway Photo Project: 4+ people. Hallway is decorated with baby photos and 8th grade photos, along with candids. Plan how photos will be displayed. Group of volunteers assist in carrying out the plan (chair filled for 2018)
- Cafeteria Decorations: 1-2 people. Plan caf and LGI room decorations (plastic tablecloths/centerpiece/paper plates etc). Many volunteers available day of event. (chair filled for 2018)
- Food Service: (6th & 7th grade parents) (chair filled for 2018)
- Dessert: 1 person. Plan the desserts that will be requested via signupgenius. 8th grade parents provide the dessert from the requested list. (chair filled for 2018)
- Cleanup: 1 person (plus many volunteers the day of event). Organize the cleanup after the event. Get info from gym chair, hallway chair and other groups as to what needs to be saved. Tell people what to do! (chair filled for 2018)
ORDER OF EVENTS & HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS:
- Graduation Ceremony starts at 6 pm in the Bedford High School gymnasium and should run through 7:15 or so. Seating is not assigned (except for the students).
- Graduates must arrive a half-hour early (be there at 5:30 pm) to be lined up alphabetically – don’t be late!
- Attire: Graduates should be dressed nicely, boys in suits or dress slacks, collared shirts (short sleeve is more comfortable/less hot that long, but either are fine), & ties, and girls in dressy attire. Everyone (kids and audience) should be aware that it is extremely warm inside the gym so people should dress accordingly. Even if it’s chilly or breezy outdoors, it can be hot and steamy inside the gym. Dress in light materials, layers to shed if you’re overheated, short sleeves or sleeveless tops, etc. Carry a sweater instead of wearing long sleeves. If you carry in a water bottle to sip during the ceremony, please make sure you carry it out. Do not litter the gym.
- The ceremony will be videotaped by Bedford TV. Buy a DVD via Bedford TV’s website.
- After the Ceremony/Going to the Moving On Celebration: Before leaving BHS, it is acceptable for kids to change some clothes. Usually, boys change into khaki shorts and Polo-type of shirt. Girls may change too but usually they stay in their dresses and just switch shoes (flipflops or sandals.) There are restrooms outside of the BHS gym where kids can change. Families should collect the suit jackets, high heels, and other random things from the graduates and say their goodbyes at BHS because the kids will walk over to JGMS for their Moving On celebration.
- Dinner and Dance: At JGMS, for graduates only and supervised by teachers and Moving On chaperones, not 8th grade parents or families.
- Day after (or before) Moving On: 8th grade field trip to Canobie Lake Park. Kids should wear their 8th grade (Moving On) shirt to school that morning. If a child did not get his/her shirt, it will be in the Front Office, with his/her name on it, ready for pickup before they get on the bus.
NOTE: Please don’t forget the final step of the RSVP process — confirming your response by clicking on the Confirm my RSVP button in the email you will receive. Your response won’t count if you don’t click the confirmation link above.
DONATIONS NEEDED TO MAKE MOVING ON HAPPEN: Finally, and most important, this event is run entirely on donations. If you have made a donation, THANK YOU. If you haven’t yet had the opportunity, please take a moment to do so now. We need to finalize all items, based on received budgets. This year’s donation forms are located at 2018 Donation Request Letter
Hallway Photo Project form:Moving On Photo Project Letter 2018
THANK YOU all for your support!
Glimpse of Moving On as reported in the Bedford Citizen